Protect your Computer
While LBS Financial has designed many security features within Online Banking to protect your information, there are steps every Member should take to ensure your computer is up-to-date and protected from potential viruses.
Tools from LBS Financial to Minimize Opportunities for Identity Theft
- Direct Deposit: Don’t take a chance with your paycheck, social security, retirement or investment check. Have it automatically deposited on the date you get paid.
- eStatements: Less chance for your information to be stolen from the mail and good for the environment.
- Bill Payment: Ensure your payments arrive on time, every time and reduce the risk of checks being stolen from the mail.
- Account Alerts: Sign up for alerts within Online or Mobile Banking to get an email or text when certain transactions occur on your account.
Make sure to add our email address, email@example.com to your spam allow list/address book to make sure messages like password changes are received.
Antivirus software is a computer program that detects, prevents, and takes action to disarm or remove malicious software programs, such as viruses and worms. You can help protect your computer against viruses by using antivirus software, such as any of the following:
- Symantec or Norton AntiVirus at www.symantec.com
- McAfee VirusScan at www.mcafee.com
- Most Internet Service Providers (ISP) such as Charter, Time Warner, AT&T, EarthLink, Verizon, Cox and others now offer free anti-virus and security software to their customers as part of their service, so please check with your ISP before spending any money.
Personal Firewall Protection
A firewall on your computer is like your personal alarm system on your house. Prevent online burglars from stealing information from your computer by maintaining current firewall software. Make sure to renew it every year and keep it current. A firewall can also protect your computer from being be taken over. If your computer is taken over, not only will your personal information be compromised, but your computer can be used to launch spam and/or attacks like the DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks on banks and credit unions that have been in the news lately.
- Symantec or Norton Personal Firewall at www.symantec.com
- McAfee Personal Firewall at www.mcafee.com
- ZoneAlarm OC Firewall at www.zonelabs.com
Spyware and Malware
Spyware programs are designed to monitor your personal computing habits. Sometimes, these programs are harmless and will only slow down your computer. However, in the case of Malware, a form of Spyware, these programs can actually seek to obtain personal information on your computer. Spyware can be obtained by downloading programs from certain sites or simply visiting a site. Choose carefully which sites you choose to download programs from as these can affect the performance of your computer as well as put your information at risk. Below are some popular Spyware Protection tools. Note: some firewall protection packages also include anti-malware and spyware software, so you may not need both.